Power News We love to talk!
India’s total installed solar power generation capacity grew over threefold to 13,652 Megawatt (MW) over the past two fiscal years, power, coal, renewable energy and mines minister Piyush Goyal said today.
“The cumulative solar energy capacity installed as on 31 July 2017 is 13,652 MW while the same at the end of 2014-15 was 3,743.97 MW,” Goyal said in a written reply in Lok Sabha. “The States of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Telangana have crossed the solar installed capacity of 1 GW, as on 31 July, 2017,” Goyal wrote.
The Minister also stated the government has revised the National Solar Mission target of Grid Connected Solar Power projects from 20,000 MW by 2022 to 100,000 MW by 2022. This is sought to be achieved through rooftop solar projects (40,000 MW) and ground-mounted solar projects (60,000 MW), he said.
The renewable energy ministry has announced various initiatives in a bid to promote solar energy including Solar Park Scheme for setting up over 50 Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects targeting over 40,000 MW projects and scheme for setting up 1,000 MW of Grid-Connected Solar PV Power Projects by Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs) with Viability Gap Funding (VGF), among others.
Goyal also pointed out that there was no specific ‘Solar Energy Policy’ being formulated in a written reply to another question. The centre has set an ambitious target of setting up 175 GW renewable power installed capacity by the end of 2022. This includes 60 GW from wind power, 100 GW from solar power, 10 GW from biomass power and 5 GW from small hydro power.
- Suzlon Energy wins 60 MW in NTPC reverse solar e-auction Read more
- GGCL, GSPC Gas to set up network in Thane, Dadra and Nagar Haveli Read more
- Auction of coal linkages for sponge iron sector on Tuesday Read more
- Seeds of instability seen in Narendra Modis solar push for India Read more
- Solar power project launched in Tarntaran Read more
- Coal India against annual production target Read more
- Inox Wind soars 35% in spectacular debut Read more
- Three Sensex cos lose Rs 14K cr in m-cap; ONGC biggest loser Read more
- Discom debt to impact states spending on development: RBI Read more
- IIT scientists create low-cost solar cells using Jamun Read more