Power News We love to talk!
India’s total installed solar power generation capacity grew over threefold to 13,652 Megawatt (MW) over the past two fiscal years, power, coal, renewable energy and mines minister Piyush Goyal said today.
“The cumulative solar energy capacity installed as on 31 July 2017 is 13,652 MW while the same at the end of 2014-15 was 3,743.97 MW,” Goyal said in a written reply in Lok Sabha. “The States of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Telangana have crossed the solar installed capacity of 1 GW, as on 31 July, 2017,” Goyal wrote.
The Minister also stated the government has revised the National Solar Mission target of Grid Connected Solar Power projects from 20,000 MW by 2022 to 100,000 MW by 2022. This is sought to be achieved through rooftop solar projects (40,000 MW) and ground-mounted solar projects (60,000 MW), he said.
The renewable energy ministry has announced various initiatives in a bid to promote solar energy including Solar Park Scheme for setting up over 50 Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects targeting over 40,000 MW projects and scheme for setting up 1,000 MW of Grid-Connected Solar PV Power Projects by Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs) with Viability Gap Funding (VGF), among others.
Goyal also pointed out that there was no specific ‘Solar Energy Policy’ being formulated in a written reply to another question. The centre has set an ambitious target of setting up 175 GW renewable power installed capacity by the end of 2022. This includes 60 GW from wind power, 100 GW from solar power, 10 GW from biomass power and 5 GW from small hydro power.
- 64% citizens in dark about subsidised LED scheme: Survey Read more
- BHEL commissions captive solar photo voltaic power plant in Trichy Read more
- CIL, IOC, MMTC give push to divestment Read more
- Solar power developers evinces interest in Punjab Read more
- Videocon eyes 13% market share in AC segment with new solar energy powered range Read more
- CERC approves Powergrids evacuation system for NP Kunta solar power park Read more
- Wind Power India to see several new product launches Read more
- CAG flags violation in 'depreciation' benefit to RIL Read more
- OVL plans to raise $900 m through overseas bond route Read more
- What ails Indias Hydro Power sector? Read more