Coal News We love to talk!
Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan today said India is developing a blueprint for implementing its Nationally Determined Contributions on reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
"We are working on developing a roadmap for implementation of our NDCs(Nationally Determined Contributions) and have constituted an implementation committee and six thematic sub-committees involving key ministries and departments," the minister said.
He was speaking at Business and Climate Summit organised by Ficci here. He said one of the key features of Paris Agreement is Nationally Determined Contributions, and India submitted its NDCs in 2015.
"It (NDCs) include eight goals, three of which are quantitative, including reducing the emissions intensity of our GDP by 33 to 35 per cent by 2030 from 2005 level," he said.
The other two quantitative goals are achieving about 40 per cent cumulative electric power installed capacity from non-fossil fuel based energy resources by 2030 and creating an additional carbon sink of 2 to 3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent through additional forest and tree cover by 2030.
Rest five goals pertain to healthy and sustainable lifestyle, climate friendly and clean path to economic development, building capacities on climate technology and mobilise domestic and new additional funds, he added.
Private sector, which is an integral part of India's action on climate change, has also embarked on a number of voluntary actions. The Indian industry has participated in voluntary carbon disclosure programme whereby they report their carbon management strategy and green house gas emissions, he said.
"Going forward, as political leaders and representative of people we have major role and responsibilities towards the citizens of our country and the world and a duty to think long-term. We should listen to the voice of science and act accordingly to safeguard our people against the risks posed by climate change," the minister said.
- Coal India won't revise its share buyback offer price of Rs 335 per share Read more
- Essel Infraprojects unit raises Rs680 crore via bond issue Read more
- Shadow over SunEdison India's solar projects Read more
- Indian Oil Corp bags 'leading oil & gas corporate' award Read more
- India produced 32,455 million units of N-power in 2011-12 Read more
- Despite initial gains, demonetisation delays power transmission projects Read more
- Govt calls for end to extravagance as it works on climate plan Read more
- State plans to outsource underutilised Bawana plant Read more
- ONGC, Oil India unlikely to buy Petronas' stake in Venezuela project: Sources Read more
- Prime Minister Dedicates 1732 MW to nation in Himachal Read more