Coal News We love to talk!
Coal import in August declined 24 per cent on a yearly basis as Indian buyers preferred not to buy any fresh fossil fuel and instead wait and watch ahead of an upcoming auction for the power sector. The drop in coal import comes as the stocks at power plants have thinned due to short supply and higher power generation.
“Coal import (all types of coals) in August 2017 stood at 14.97 million tonnes (mt) (provisional), against 19.75 mt in August 2016,” said Mjunction Services, an e-auction joint venture between Tata Steel and SAIL. Mjunction CEO Vinaya Varma told PTI that the Indian buyers took a wait-and-watch approach as spot prices held firm following supply disruptions in Australia and other markets.
“Also, the linkage bidding for cement and upcoming Shakti auction for the power sector had possibly restrained the buyers from taking fresh positions,” Varma added. Of the 14.9 mt of the coal imported, the share of non- coking coal was highest at 10.2 mt, followed by coking coal at 3.2 mt, among others.
“The lower volume of coal and coke imports in August (down 24.2 per cent year-on-year) is mainly due to a 2.4 mt of decline in non-coking coal imports during the month under review,” Mjunction Services said. Import of coal fell 6.37 per cent to 191.95 mt in 2016- 17 after higher production by Coal India, which saw the country move to a position of surplus coal. In 2015-16, coal imports stood at 203.95 mt, showed official data.
- ONGC, Reliance Industries disclose tax payments abroad: Transparency International Read more
- Reliance Group to develop 6000 MW solar park in Rajasthan Read more
- Thousands protest across Australia against Adanis coal mine project Read more
- Power Ministry issues draft tender for stranded gas power plants Read more
- Adani Power wins projects in Chhattisgarh Read more
- Power sector total loan from banks at Rs 5.83 lakh crore Read more
- Hartek Power doubles solar capacity to 528 MW in this fiscal Read more
- Too early for DGH to become regulator, says Oil Minister Read more
- India to eclipse China as top coal importer in 2015 Read more
- $1 billion guarantee can lead to $15 billion investment for solar energy Read more