Coal News We love to talk!
If you haven’t caught hold of the FICCI-Rocky Mountain Institute report on ‘Enabling India’s Transition to Electric Mobility,’ you must!
This report reveals how the country could save up to Rs 20 lakh crore ($330 billion) by 2030 on oil imports and become a leader in EV (electric vehicle) technology, saving over 876 million metric tons of oil and one giga-tonne of carbon-dioxide emissions by 2030.
This vision can only be realised when the general public opts to make a conscious shift to the electric vehicle grid. While it is common to see electric rickshaws plying on the roads across the states in India, electric cars only make for less than 1% of the vehicles on Indian roads as compared to the conventional vehicles.
What are electric vehicles?
Unlike conventional vehicles that run on gasoline or diesel-powered engine, electric cars run at least partially on electricity. But not all electric vehicles use the same working mechanism.
While plug-in hybrids offer both a gasoline or diesel engine and an electric motor powered by a battery that can be recharged by plugging in, battery electric vehicles avoid recourse to any liquid fuels and operate solely on electricity. Fuel cell electric vehicles convert hydrogen gas into electricity to power an electric motor and battery.
Here’s why your next car could be an electric car!
A shift to electric cars could be one of the many keys to combat global warming. While vehicles running on non-renewable fossil fuels like petrol and diesel emit hazardous and life-threatening greenhouse gases, increasing air pollution and soaring temperatures, electric vehicles are considered cleaner depending on the type of vehicle and the source of the electricity it uses. For example, some battery electric vehicles which derive energy from sources such as solar, wind, nuclear, or hydropower have zero CO2 emissions.
- KOR Energy installs 100 KWp grid tied rooftop solar system at Delhi Public School, Varanasi Read more
- First long-term LNG cargo from Russia arrives in Gujarat Read more
- Is BHEL's worst behind it as orders trickle in? Read more
- Frances power major EDF Energies Nouvelles calls off deal with Acme Cleantech Read more
- Self-drive Mahindra Electric Vehicles now available on rent in Delhi Read more
- Coal Ministry agrees to sign fuel-supply pacts for 11 power projects, 122 power projects waiting for clearances Read more
- Clean Air: The Union govts proposed clean air programme is ambitious Read more
- ONGC to fund solar electric stove project: oil minister Pradhan Read more
- LNJ Bhilwara Group appoints Yes Bank for wind energy portfolio sale Read more
- Domestic crude oil output dips in July; imports rise Read more