Power News We love to talk!
The Kerala power scenario is expected to be comfortable even though the summer rains have eluded the catchment areas of the hydro-electric projects in March, according to senior KSEB sources.
The water storage level in the reservoirs stood at 44 per cent as on Tuesday and with this 1,840 million units (mus) can be generated, the sources told BusinessLine.
They said there was an inflow of 87 per cent of what we expected during the south-west and north-east monsoon season. 18-19 mus can be generated on an average daily. “We are in a comfortable position now,” an official said.
The peak-time shortage experienced on certain days is met by instant purchases through the power exchange at comparatively higher prices, he said. 150-200 MW shortage is felt during peak hours, he added.
Besides, of late, there has been shortfall in supplies from the Central grid and long-term agreement suppliers due to issues related to coal. The current daily demand is at around 80 mus. The average daily demand in March stood at 75 mus.
To meet the requirement 21.5 mus were generated from the hydel projects and 52 mus were imported. The balance is met by generation from wind mill, small hydro units, solar etc, the official said.
- Experts blame mismanagement for spike in spot power prices, coal shortage Read more
- Soon, app-based survey to map renewable energy installations in Kerala Read more
- Residents reel under power cut on second day too Read more
- Ministry allows captive power plants to take part in Coal India e-auctions Read more
- SunEdison buys two renewable energy projects in India Read more
- Coal India to divert coal movement to fight critical stock in power plants Read more
- Rolta Power teams up with Zhenfa New Energy Science & Technology Read more
- Steps soon to help coal, natural gas-based power plants: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Challenges and solutions to developing India's Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure Read more
- US pullout from Paris accord to brighten climate for Modi's green energy plan Read more