Power News We love to talk!
In a move to set-up of a floating solar power plant in Andhra Pradesh, the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) has started construction of a 2MW floating solar farm at Mudarsarlova reservoir.
The Mudasarlova reservoir, located in Hanumanthawaka, provides around one million gallons of drinking water per day. Speaking to the TOI, M Hari Narayanan, GVMC commissioner, said, “This initiative, which is a part of the smart city projects of GVMC, will be one of the largest floating solar plants in the country, once the project is completed.”
As per the plan, solar modules are to be mounted atop floaters which will enable the panels to stay on top of the water body. Floating solar plants are considered to have higher efficiency as compared to ground-mounted installations due to the moderating effect of water bodies on the panel’s temperature.
The work is being executed by the PES Engineers private limited, Hyderabad. According to assistant engineer of the company Mahesh, “The design of the project has been provided by Quant Solar Technology Private Limited and is being executed by PES Engineers private limited.”
Stating that the summer season is setting in and there are chances for the water level to decrease, the assistant engineer, added, “Although the equipment for setting up the solar plant is ready, the setting up of the solar panels and floaters will be based on the water level in the reservoir. If the water level matches the required criteria, the project will be completed by June this year.”
According to sources, this is part of a plan to harness solar power of 10MW through various projects. Similar projects are in the pipeline for execution of 3MW at Meghadrigedda reservoir and 5MW at Raiwada water supply canal.
- Domestic content requirement tenders are all but disappearing: Mercom Read more
- CESC plans to raise $150 million Read more
- DERC approves PPA for TPDDLs 43 KW solar project at Narela, Delhi Read more
- Solar-powered dress to charge phone Read more
- RERC approves investment plan, determines ARR and tariff, and trues up RRVPNLs financials Read more
- TATA, Adani among prospective bidders Read more
- Indias wind power tariff falls to a record low of Rs2.64 per unit Read more
- Tangedco set to tap 15,000 MW green power in two years Read more
- Coal reserves down at power plants despite CIL raising output Read more
- India and US launch $ 95 million clean energy projects under OPIC financing Read more