Coal News We love to talk!
India and China, the traditional rivals, plan to jointly leverage their buying power to influence the crude oil pricing, oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan has said.
“We are competitors. They have their own ambition, we have our own. But we have some mutual interests,” Pradhan said of China and the need for collaboration between the two countries. China and India are world’s second- and third-largest oil consumers and heavily dependent on import.
“Consumers can dictate, influence, rationalise the future price of oil,” Pradhan said after meeting the chairman of Chinese China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) in Delhi on the sidelines of International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial. IEF is a group of oil producing and consuming countries.
“CNPC chairman is also equally concerned about the so-called Asian premium,” Pradhan said. India has been raising its voice against the Asian premium, a practice under which Asian refiners pay a higher price for oil than their Western counterparts.
This is not the first time that India and China have spoken about leveraging their purchasing power to influence crude prices but previous efforts frittered due to uneasy relations India and China share and the keen competition they experience in business.
CNPC chairman Wang Yilin and IndianOil chairman Sanjiv Singh will be the point persons for taking forward the collaborative effort between the two countries, Pradhan said. “In principle, both CNPC and Indian companies, have agreed to work out a common solution, sit together and debate how to influence the suppliers,” Singh said.
There is a ‘multi-dimensional’ scope for cooperation between China and India in the energy sector, including in the energy technology, procurement and manufacturing, Pradhan said.
- India looks towards South America for lithium for electric vehicles Read more
- EESL announces Rs 3,730 crore investments in e-mobility, renewable energy Read more
- Mahindra wins an order to supply 1000 e-Veritos to Bhagirathi Read more
- We will use imported LNG as fuel for railways: Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- China power gear makers mull repair Centre in India Read more
- HCC bags Rs. 810-cr order for hydro plant in Kashmir Read more
- Modi government following UPA's policies for power sector: AIPEF Read more
- Narendra Modi government looks to rollout DBT type benefit in power sector; here is how you will benefit Read more
- India faces daily power outage of 30,000 MW Read more
- National Solar Energy Federation seeks more time for solar projects in UP Read more