Coal News We love to talk!
India today burns 8 per cent less coal to generate the same quantity of power as it did 4 years ago leading to reduced power cost, thanks to improved efficiency in using the dirty fuel. Also, in the past 4 years, total production by state-run miner Coal India (CIL) has jumped by 105 million tonne (MT) while the same growth could be achieved in 7 years before 2013-14. These are some of the highlights of the Modi government’s 4 years’ achievements shared by the coal ministry today.
“Amount of coal required to generate per unit of electricity (specific coal consumption) has reduced by 8% in last 4 years. The drilling for exploration has almost doubled to 13.7 lakh meters in 2017-18 from 6.9 lakh meters in 2013-14. Coal offtake of CIL increased by 23 per cent to 580 MT in 2017-18 from 471 MT in 2013-14. For superior coal quality, third party sampling procedure has been implemented,” the ministry said.
It added that the government has provided for commercial coal mining as “most ambitious reform in coal mining after nationalisation in 1973. Will reduce import dependence of coal and bring energy security through assured coal supply.” The statement also noted 89 coal mines have been auctioned and allocated as part of a transparent process where 100 per cent of the revenues accrue to coal bearing states.
The ministry also said 55.6 MT of coal quantity movement has been rationalised leading to annual potential savings of Rs 3,359 crore. The government has also established timeline for setting up 14 critical projects for coal evacuation to increase transportation of the fuel, according to the statement.
- NTPC commissions 45 MW of Bhadla solar plant Read more
- India Inc must raise spend on creation of quality manpower: Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- Madhya Pradesh cracks whip, cancels solar PPAs signed with Canadian firms India unit Sky Power Solar Read more
- US may help Narendra Modi government achieve target of 100 gigawatt of solar power Read more
- Coal Ministry warns SAIL of cancelling mine allotment for delays Read more
- A.P. set to be countrys nuclear power hub Read more
- India Rating has stable outlook on wind, solar for FY19; negative on thermal Read more
- Electrification initiative to provide round-the-clock power supply Read more
- PNGRB to act as market regulator for natural gas trading hub Read more
- Domestic coal supply to power sector sees 7 pct rise Read more