Coal News We love to talk!
Thampakachuvadu Government UP School in Alappuzha has become the first school in the state to run on solar power. Power minister M M Mani will make a declaration in this regard in last week of June.
The 56-year-old hi-tech school in Mannancherry grama panchayat with 975 students and 31 teachers has installed solar panels with the help of the Energy Management Centre (EMC), Kerala and can now save up to Rs 4,000, which was spent on power bills. Now, all the 23 classrooms, including 14 smart classrooms of LP and UP sections equipped with laptops, projectors and screens, five classrooms of the nursery division and the school office are functioning using solar power.
It all started with a promise made by the EMC after the students of the energy conservation club at the school who took part in its festival during the last academic year won prizes in various competitions.
"The EMC promised it would help us set up a 2KW solar power unit for Rs 2.66 lakh. Initially, we had to pay Rs 80,000. We approached our grama panchayat authorities and they provided us the money," said the school headmistress Ushakumari M.
The installation works of the solar panel was kicked off in February this year and the project was completed in March.
"During heavy rain and wind, the state electricity board's power supply used to get disrupted. Now, our school does not face such a problem. We can function without getting connected to the local power grid. The school needs 1.5KW- 2KW daily. We have become self-sufficient in power production," said ward member Aravind B.
- For cheap power, state wants Centre to run Dabhol plant Read more
- CERC proposes up to 35 per cent hike in power transmission fees Read more
- From biogas to solar: Students whip up 300 models at science fest Read more
- Husk Power raises $20 mn for its mini-grid business Read more
- Govt keen on solar park in Marathwada: Goyal Read more
- Tripura hopes work on power project will start soon Read more
- Disinvestment department readying Plan B to handle big stake sale hurdle Read more
- Tangedco buildings to be made green to reduce power usage Read more
- HURL invites tenders for Sindri factory revival Read more
- South Delhi Municipal Corporation to set up solar farms and drains to generate clean energy Read more