Coal News We love to talk!
Thampakachuvadu Government UP School in Alappuzha has become the first school in the state to run on solar power. Power minister M M Mani will make a declaration in this regard in last week of June.
The 56-year-old hi-tech school in Mannancherry grama panchayat with 975 students and 31 teachers has installed solar panels with the help of the Energy Management Centre (EMC), Kerala and can now save up to Rs 4,000, which was spent on power bills. Now, all the 23 classrooms, including 14 smart classrooms of LP and UP sections equipped with laptops, projectors and screens, five classrooms of the nursery division and the school office are functioning using solar power.
It all started with a promise made by the EMC after the students of the energy conservation club at the school who took part in its festival during the last academic year won prizes in various competitions.
"The EMC promised it would help us set up a 2KW solar power unit for Rs 2.66 lakh. Initially, we had to pay Rs 80,000. We approached our grama panchayat authorities and they provided us the money," said the school headmistress Ushakumari M.
The installation works of the solar panel was kicked off in February this year and the project was completed in March.
"During heavy rain and wind, the state electricity board's power supply used to get disrupted. Now, our school does not face such a problem. We can function without getting connected to the local power grid. The school needs 1.5KW- 2KW daily. We have become self-sufficient in power production," said ward member Aravind B.
- Government to align ethanol price with global market Read more
- CleanMax eyes 400 MW rooftop solar installed capacity in 2 yrs Read more
- Telangana ERC invites comments on Draft Consumer Grievances Redressal Regulation Read more
- Coal India not to be split: Piyush Goyal Read more
- ReNew Power secures $390-m debt funding Read more
- Hindustan Zinc enters solar energy biz, to invest Rs 630 cr Read more
- India crosses swords with US over renewable energy at WTO Read more
- Shapoorji Pollonji group plans 50 MW solar project in Egypt Read more
- Power Ministers poser to Karunanidhi Read more
- MSEDCL incurs Rs 5K cr losses in power and distribution thefts Read more