Power News We love to talk!
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), an arm of the power ministry, today announced it has signed two pacts with Haryana power discoms to install 1 million smart electricity meters in the state.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) entail supply and installation of Smart Meters in Gurugram, Faridabad, Hisar, Karnal, Panipat and Panchkula within 3 years in a phased manner.
Under the agreement -- signed with Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (UHBVN) and Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (DHBVN) -- EESL will fund, build, operate and manage the Smart Metering Solution implementation in the project area for a defined period and monetize its investment on per month annuity basis.
As part of the project, EESL will initially install meters for 1 million customers in select cities under the DISCOMs’ jurisdiction in Haryana, scaling the project to more towns in subsequent years. EESL will also engage a System Integrator (SI) to implement the Smart Metering (AMI) Solution.
Smart electricity meters are expected to enable consumers to monitor their consumption pattern and the corresponding cost, leading them to manage their energy use and reduce power wastage, and providing long-term carbon and financial savings.
“With better complaint management, the state’s grid will also achieve faster restoration from outages while delivering improvements in system stability, reliability and transparency. The signing of these MoUs underscores our commitment to enabling more transformation and transparency through cost-effective and scalable solutions that deliver the benefits of energy efficiency to all,” EESL Managing Director Saurabh Kumar said.
EESL is currently implementing the Smart Meter National Programme (SMNP) with an aim to replace 250 million conventional meters with smart meters. The objective is to improve billing efficiency, enabling alignment with the loss trajectory agreed by the DISCOMs under the government’s Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) scheme.
- UK to support India's renewable energy initiatives Read more
- Oil exploration cos to be free from CAG audit Read more
- India to be pro-active in enhancing energy efficiency: Government Read more
- Tender to buy 1,000-mw short-term power soon Read more
- India to help Lanka develop civil nuclear energy Read more
- Coal India hits 93% of output target in April-November Read more
- Wind capacity addition to depend upon discoms bidding plans: ICRA Read more
- Reliance Power gets carbon credits Read more
- DERC’s new power tariff system to limit peak hour consumption Read more
- RIL bets on Chavez era for Venezuela spend Read more