Power News We love to talk!
Union ministry of renewable power has asked Tamil Nadu and other states to identify locations where solar and wind power projects could be set up. Once the survey is completed, the ministry will fix tariff for solar and wind power based on the areas which have better solar power irradiation, transmission facility etc, said Union MNRE secretary Anand Kumar. He was speaking at a CII conference on green power.
“We are hopeful of meeting the target of having 173GW capacity of renewable power by 2022. As of now, 120GW of renewable capacity has been commissioned or is in the pipeline and the remaining 55GW will be completed by 2022 and we will even have more than 173GW by that year,” said a confined secretary.
Before the secretary, CII RE council chairman Ramesh Kymal raised several issues faced by the wind and solar power companies. One of the main issue was the tariff which has been falling each year. “In several states, the bids for renewable power have been cancelled due to issues such as lower tariff, land availability and transmission problems. We want the ministry to look into these issues and solve it,” said Kymal.
The secretary said the tariff of renewable power in India is competitive globally. “We cannot say just due to lower tariff it is not possible to commission a solar or wind project. For example, a solar company which won a bid at Rs 2.44, has commissioned the project successfully,” said the official.
He accepted that there are some states which are delaying in allocating land. “We have found that there are some states which are not ready to make land available but the ministry is working on this issue. We are also looking at the GST rate,” he said.
- Green energy companies awaiting promised subsidy of over Rs 1,000 crore Read more
- Iran sanctions: Refineries tap Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq for crude oil Read more
- Farmers hail Jayalalithaas stand on GAIL project Read more
- Rays Power Infra mulls entering highways sector Read more
- Mundle English School goes solar, saves money Read more
- Coal India workers to stay away from officers' strike on March 13 Read more
- Essar's plea for duty exemption rejected Read more
- Installed solar capacity crosses 8,500 MW: Mercom Read more
- Green energy agency Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency files IPO papers Read more
- Cant make UT 100% green energy powered by yr-end: Chandigarh admin Read more