Power News We love to talk!
Fuel shortage is restraining the growth of power sector and itneeds to be addressed at the earliest, Power Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia saidtoday.
"Major challenge is securing fuel supplies. Though India hasthe world's fourth largest reserves of coal and has recently made gasdiscoveries that are notable even by global standards, inadequate fuel suppliesare constraining the growth of power sector," he said at an event here.
"In the past few years, India's fuel imports have increasedsubstantially and are likely to continue to be so if the current situationprevails, subjecting electricity prices to volatile international fuel pricesand shortages.
"In order to bridge the gap between demand and supply ofpower, especially in the context of limited financial resources available, ithas become imperative to look for other options which are not as capitalintensive as new capacity addition and which could be implemented in acomparatively shorter time frame," he said.
To tackle these problems domestic coal production needs to beincreased to meet the demand of power sector, he added.
"Shortage of domestic gas also has to be addressed onpriority basis," he said.
"Power is one of the most important inputs for economic andsocial development of our country. The major challenge before us is to providecompetitive power to the consumers while improving the reliability and qualityof supply," he added.
Delays in acquiring land, obtaining necessary approvals as well asequipment bottlenecks are constraining the pace of capacity addition of 88,000MW by 2017, he added.
- Gujarat plans to sell surplus power to Railways Read more
- Auction for wind power on the anvil, says Piyush Goyal Read more
- Abhijeet Group seeks Jharkhand CM Raghuvar Das's help to revive power plant Read more
- Lenders led by SBI move to take control of Essar Power Gujarat Read more
- Adani power units cant charge more; Appellate tribunal quashes tariff relief Read more
- Uttar Pradesh power corporation's collections up owing to demonetisation Read more
- PSUs in $3 billion venture to revive mothballed fertilizer plants Read more
- Tata-backed Resurgent bids for power assets of Jaypee Power Read more
- More trouble likely for captive coal miners in Madhya Pradesh Read more
- RERC approves ARR and tariff for Unit-2 of the Giral TPS Read more