Power News We love to talk!
Gireesh B. Pradhan, former Secretary of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, is expected to become the next Chairperson of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC).
Pradhan's appointment for the post has been given go-ahead by the Power Ministry on Tuesday, sources told Business Line.
The nodal Ministry has forwarded the matter to the Prime Minister-headed Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, which will take the final decision. The appointment is expected in a week or two, sources added.
Recently, the role of the CERC was in the news due to the several crucial tariff orders it passed. Private power companies such as Tata Power, Adani Power and Reliance Power have petitioned for increase in electricity tariff from their respective stations.
Pradhan is an IAS officer of the 1977 Maharashtra cadre. The 1952-born bureaucrat had earlier served in the Power Ministry as Joint Secretary and Additional Secretary. The post of CERC Chairperson has been vacant since Pramod Deo retired on June 9. Deo had assumed charge as head of the Regulator in 2008 and was the longest serving power regulator.
The tenure of a Chairperson is for five years or till the individual attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
The Commission's powers include regulating electricity tariffs, inter-State transmission and implementing grid standards.
- Inox Wind bags 2 orders from Adani group Read more
- Power supply restored in 75 p.c. of affected areas, says MESCOM Read more
- Revival plan on cards for gas-based power plants Read more
- With fall in sales, Coal India set to offload fuel in open market Read more
- Foreign funded group wants to stop Adani project in Australia: Report Read more
- Intra-State Transmission Tariff Read more
- Raising power tariffs in Delhi a regulatory decision: Piyush Goyal Read more
- MERC extends the applicability of RE Tariff Order till 31st October 2015 Read more
- India ranks second in EY renewables list Read more
- SIEMA gets stay on Energy Efficiency Services tender approval Read more