Power News We love to talk!
Gireesh B. Pradhan, former Secretary of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, is expected to become the next Chairperson of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC).
Pradhan's appointment for the post has been given go-ahead by the Power Ministry on Tuesday, sources told Business Line.
The nodal Ministry has forwarded the matter to the Prime Minister-headed Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, which will take the final decision. The appointment is expected in a week or two, sources added.
Recently, the role of the CERC was in the news due to the several crucial tariff orders it passed. Private power companies such as Tata Power, Adani Power and Reliance Power have petitioned for increase in electricity tariff from their respective stations.
Pradhan is an IAS officer of the 1977 Maharashtra cadre. The 1952-born bureaucrat had earlier served in the Power Ministry as Joint Secretary and Additional Secretary. The post of CERC Chairperson has been vacant since Pramod Deo retired on June 9. Deo had assumed charge as head of the Regulator in 2008 and was the longest serving power regulator.
The tenure of a Chairperson is for five years or till the individual attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
The Commission's powers include regulating electricity tariffs, inter-State transmission and implementing grid standards.
- Odisha seeks early construction of National Institute of New Energy & Innovation Read more
- Fewer power tariff categories likely in Andhra Read more
- Use of clean energy by 1.3 billion people can save $ 27 billion: NGO Climate Group Read more
- On clean energy, India has wind at its back, sun ahead Read more
- Hero Future Energies, Greenko in race to acquire Orange Renewable Read more
- Mahindra Partners readies $450 million solar push Read more
- China Light & Power to invest $2bn for 2,000-mw coal-fired power plant Read more
- Tata Power Delhi Distribution signs pact with GIZ to promote green energy and efficiency Read more
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurates 4th Unit of Chhabra Thermal Power Station Read more
- SolarArise raises over Rs200 crore from Kotak's infra fund and GEEREF Read more